Table of Contents
If you sustained an injury, loss, or damage due to a slip and fall accident then consult California Personal Injury Attorneys for a free case review. You may be eligible to file a compensation claim and time is of the essence. In California, the time limit to file a personal injury slip and fall claim is 2 years from the date of the accident. That statute is shorter for government claims and/or governmental entities.
What To Do If You Are Injured in a Slip, Trip and Fall Accident
Firstly, seek appropriate medical attention, even if you do not feel any pain immediately after the accident since the effect of some injuries is only felt after. Then, contact a personal injury attorney to evaluate whether you may claim damages, losses, and injury.
Common Places Where Slip, Trip and Fall Accidents Occur
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere: at home, at the workplace, or on a public sidewalk. However, they are a particular hazard in many work settings. Not only can a slip and fall accident create a physical injury, but it can also mean time away from work and reduced productivity. Elderly individuals have a high risk of serious injury from a slip and fall accident and are particularly vulnerable to broken bones, hip fractures, and traumatic brain injuries.Premises liability accidents refer to accidents or injuries caused by dangerous property. If a slip and fall accident was the result of improper maintenance or lack of compliance with safety codes on the part of the business or property owner, it is possible to seek compensation for the injury.
Pursuing a Premises Liability Slip and Fall Claim
Proving liability in a slip and fall claim is not always straightforward. Was the slip and fall due to the person’s own carelessness or does the fault reasonably lie with another party? In the case of a premises accident, it must be proved that the owner of the property did not keep it safe. If you or somebody you know has suffered a personal injury due to a slip and fall accident, it is advisable to seek experienced legal advice as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
The most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Ice and snow
- Loose mats or rugs
- Wet or slippery floors
- Poor construction and shoddy materials
- Dangerous clutter, such as loose cords and wires
- Poor lighting in stairwells, walkways, and hallways
- Uneven floors, sidewalks, and other walking surfaces due to cracks, grooves, holes, and other irregularities
Slip and Fall Statistics
- There were 238,610 cases involving falls, slips, and trips in private industry
- Employees in Wholesale and Retail Trade have the highest rate of slip, trip, and fall injuries
- Nursing and residential care facilities have the second highest incident rate for non-fatal occupational injury and illness
- Slips, trips, and falls are the second most common cause of injuries among hospital workers
- It is estimated that workers’ compensation and medical costs associated with falls reach $70 billion annually in the United States.
Common Injuries Sustained During a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are particularly dangerous for young children and the elderly, and often they are preventable. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Hip fracture
- Head injuries
- Knee injuries
- Injury to the soft tissue
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Dislocations and muscle strains
- Upper and lower extremities, scrapes, bruises, and fractures
Some of these injuries may not be obvious to the eye and therefore it is important to seek medical attention and keep accurate records of diagnosis, treatment, and expenses incurred.
Slip and Fall Compensation
California Personal Injury Attorneys can assist you with ensuring adequate compensation for personal injury claims. In addition, punitive damages may also be awarded should a case go to trial.
Often cases are settled before going to trial and compensation may include:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation and therapies
- Incidental costs, such as transport
- Pain and suffering endured, both physical and psychological
- Loss of income and income limitations as a result of the accident
Why Choose California Personal Injury Attorneys?
At California Personal Injury Attorneys, we have extensive experience in premises liability and slip and fall personal injury cases. Although accidents resulting from slips, trips, and falls are common, they are preventable. We fight to make sure that the responsible parties are held accountable for negligence, advocating both for our clients and for better conditions in the workplace and other premises.
If you would like to know more about your rights, contact our office to schedule a consultation. with locations in Los Angeles and Encino, we proudly serve the greater LA metropolitan area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a limitation to the amount that can be claimed in California?
There is no cap placed on non-economic and punitive damages. However, in the case of a medical malpractice case, the non-economic amount is capped at $250,000.
What if my fall was due to negligence on my part as well?
Comparative negligence will come into effect and your claim amount will be reduced in proportion to your own level of fault. An example of this would be, if you were claiming $150,000 but found that 25% negligence is on your part, then your claim amount will be reduced by 25% ($37,500).